Re: Installing Lame

According to anthony iles, on Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:26:35
+0100 (BST),
>Hi there,
>
>I'm running Debian Sarge / OSX dual boot on a G3
>Pismo.
>Apart from expressing my solidarity with all other
>Pismo users running Debian, I'd like to ask if anyone
>can help with a small problem I have installing lame
>encoder.
>
>I use Audacity to edit audio files. To export as mp3
>or aiff I need Lame encoder - when I try to export in
>these formats from Audacity it asks me to locate the
>libmp3lame.so file/library.
>
>As there are no pre-compiled binaries for Lame I
>downloaded Lame source tar from
>http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/ and followed this howto :
>
>http://ryandaigle.com/pebble/2005/09/25/1127676795119.html
>

>   1. Download the source tar from:
>http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/
>   2. Extract the source: tar -xvzf lame-3.96.1.tar.gz
>   3. Compile and install: ./configure && make && make
>install

It might be obvious, but by default, this should try to
install in /usr or /usr/local so you must be root before
make install.

Alternatively, you can ask configure to prepare the
makefile so as to install in a place where you can write:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/install && make && make install

Hope that helps...