From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt [mailto:benh@kernel.crashing.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:16 PM
To: Wolfgang Pfeiffer
Cc: debian-powerpc
Subject: Re: How to get rid of sungem at boot time?

> "Ethernet-over-firewire": If you mean the firewire connector/system on
> the machine by that:

Yes, there is a kernel module that implements ethernet-like networking
on top of FireWire.

> And what if it's a hardware bug? In that the firewire system on the
> machine has, e.g. a loose contact to the rest of the machine. In that
case
> even the best kernel/drivers would not be able to detect some firewire
> system, with some eth0 device called
> 00-03-93-FF-FE-CD-E4-C4-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 ... :)

Well, in that case it would have a lose contact on all macs including
mine :) No, I think the problem is with that damn driver that randomly
don't work.

> A few hours ago I remembered again the times when I connected a hard
disk
> via firewire to the Titanium, and I had problems to let kernel drivers
> detect the partitions of that disk ...

I think the linux firewire stack is fairly broken, but you can complain
on their mailing list.

> So perhaps we're a bit too much a accustomed to blame Linux if
> something does not work ... or at least in my case that might be true
> ... :)
>

> > > If the eth0 device above is missing at another system boot the
whole
> > > devices order is shifting, and changed, and as a consequence
> > > previous eth2 (radio card) simply does not exist any more, thus
> > > rendering my settings in the /etc/network/interfaces useless ...
:)

> > The solution would be to able to specify interfaces by MAC or
position
> > in sysfs rather than ethX name in /etc/network/interfaces...
Volunteer