Re: How to get rid of sungem at boot time?

On 10/13/05, Dean Hamstead <dean@bong.com.au> wrote:
> > airport isn't (yet) auto-detected by hotplug (soon). When that will
> > happen, your airport driver will also be automagically loaded and there
> > is no way to know which one will end up eth0 and which one will end up
> > eth1.
>
> this is a good argument for bsd style network interfaces
>
> /dev/vr0 /dev/fxp0 /dev/fxp1 etc

That is utterly crap naming convention. if I have two nics from the
same producer, then I'm in the same place as before. That naming
convention just reduces the randomness in some corenr cases, as most
use two or more identical ethernet cards, when needed. Mixed configs
is rare and hapens mostly only in amateur environments. It does not
help in proffesional ones (or maybe I am missing some detail)

I am _totaly_ sure there is a way to assign a certain ethX number to a
specific kernel module in some config files (/etc/network/interfaces
and/or /etc/modules or alike; unfortunately I can't remember right
now). I made this at some point in the past on a server with 4 nic-s.

> perhaps ben could push through bsd style nic dev file naming ;)

I rather he not. :) (Bare in mind I am a Linux world memeber ;-)

--
Regards,
EddyP