Re: apt (intentionally?) brain dead?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:00:31AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 00:13 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Once upon, IIRC, there were times when apt did very intelligently
> > automatically what I have to do now myself: When I tried to install a
> > package, apt-get/aptitude calculated the dependencies on other
> > packages for the one I wanted to install and then installed the whole
> > bunch of packages necessary for the installation of the one i needed.
> >

> > It seems times have changed: Either apt/aptitude is braindead and on the brink
> > of becoming unusable, or, alternatively, the Debian folks
> > intentionally changed the software in a way where apt-get does not do
> > any more what it did some time ago. In the latter case the bug (again:
> > It's not a bug: I call it brain dead) would be an intentionally
> > designed feature.
>
> I think it happens when the dependency triggers an upgrade of a
> dependent package, and that upgrade would break another package (unless
> you also update it). Note too sure though...

In this case it may be that a package is now in the archive but certain
dependencies are not yet uptodate for whatever reason. One trick is to
get them manually from incoming.debian.org.

The OP diddn't say but if he is following unstable, he cannot expect to
have everything working at all times and must learn patience.

Philippe