ibook G4 Feb 2005 freeze after wakeup

[ I already tried to sent this message via a usenet gateway but as it doesn't
  appear in the archive I guess that didn't work. ]

Hi Debian Powerpc list,
 I installed Debian Sarge on an ibook G4 (bought in February 2005, with 12"
and 1,2 GHz). The installation went very smooth and everything seems to be
configured very well. :-)

However I didn't manage to get sleep working.

When I close the lid when the ibook is on battery or when I press the
power-button it goes into a sleep mode (I guess suspend to ram,
the white led at the front is blinking).

When I open the lid or when I press any key it wakes up. So far so good. However
about 30 seconds later the whole machine freezes.

Is this a known issue and how can I resolve it?

Before I wrote this mail I searched the Internet for solutions and tried the
following:

- Installed the lasted stable vanilla kernel: 2.6.13.3
- Removed the Load "dri" and the Load "glx" lines from the module section
  of my Xserver.
- issued /etc/init.d/dbus-1 stop before a sleep
- issued /etc/init.d/cpufreqd stop before a sleep
- As far as I understood hal is not installed so I can't stop it ;)
- echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation before a sleep
- removed all external devices except the Ethernet cable.

I have the impression that the machine only freezes if I work under X. So
maybe it's related to X or the touchpad?

I would be very glad if anyone has an idea how to fix this or how I can find
out what is causing the freeze. If you need additional information please
don't hesitate to ask.

TIA
 Thorsten
--