Re: Migrating Debian from iMac G4 to iMac G5

> > Cannot confirm this - on 2.6.8 and 2.6.11 (old BenH BK trees), sbp2 and fw
> > is rock solid. The only trick is to plug in the disk _after_ Linux has
> > booted.
>
> Ah, ... i never did that i plugged it in from startup (and was running the
> ubuntu live cd even). it is a 1Ghz tibook (last tibook generation i believe).

No doubt it's hotplug/discover messing things up here.

> I also have similar problem on the pegasos though, but then it uses a VIA
> firewire chip, so things may be different.
>
> The problem don't happens when merely usign the disk, not when creating full
> DVD isos from data on the firewire disk to the local disk, but only when
> creating a DVD iso from data on the firewire disk and putting the result on
> the firewire disk. The other case i had was when trying a full backup of the

Never tried that - I've always burned DVDs on the fly. Which is similar as
placing the ISO on the IDE drive, of course.

> 60GB of data of the linux partition of my powerbook in order to make a new
> install.

That I've done successfully. But I've used fw800 for that - if anything,
it should have stressed out the hardware even more.

> I was using an external firewire/usb case with a standard IDE disk in it, so
> maybe this also influences ti somehow.

Depending on the fw adapter in the disk case, maybe. That's all black box
anyway (but everyone uses that stuff, and it usually works).

	Michael