Re: install 2nd HD G5

Wesley writes:
ybin: DEBUG: macosx set to
`/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0 :9' from
`/dev/sda9'
ybin: DEBUG: OS=4
ybin: DEBUG: /bin/sh /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot 4 bootyaboot 10  0 yaboot
GNU l /ht@ 0.f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2
,\\yaboot   macosx MacOSX x /
ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:9 ,\\:tbxi  cd
CDROM c cd: , \\:tbxi  of OpenFirmware o quit now
ybin: DEBUG: set magicboot to /tmp/ofboot.ytmPmc
ybin: DEBUG: boot-device=/ht@0.f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2,
\\:tbxi

That last line seems a bit strange. For one, I would have thought that it would have pointed to yaboot on the boot partition rather than tbxi which (I thought) was a mac boot command file/name. So I look back at your yaboot.conf (from your lead-in message), and a few things are strange, for one

boot=/dev/sdb2
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:
partition=3
root=/dev/sdb3
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
ofboot=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2
enablecdboot
enableofboot
macosx=/dev/sda9
default=Linux

You should not need to specify "ofboot" since "ofpath" is used to locate the boot location, i.e. you give it on the first line. It may be the reason for the tbxi stuff. So try it first without. Second, try to avoid the long OF device tree path names if you can, rather use an OF alias; the more characters you type, the better chance there is to get something wrong. Also, you're going to get tired of all of those characters at some point. To find out the aliases, use the OF command "devalias", e.g. enter that command at the OF prompt. You can even use the alias as a prefix of the path if necessary. Also notice (from the debug trace above) that ybin can discover the correct OF path via different naming schemes. And third, note the difference from these two lines which use the long OF path, but should still point to the same device:

// line 6 from 1st refquote
> GNU l /ht@ 0.f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2

// line 11 from 1st refquote
> ybin: DEBUG: boot-device=/ht@0.f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:2,

Line 6 is the yaboot command that occurs on your boot partition (/dev/sdb2) while line 11 is from your ofboot command (in your yaboot.conf) which "should" point to the same place, i.e. /dev/sdb2. I see an extra space in the first instance (and I'm not sure where that came from...or if it matters...but it makes me suspicious...like what I'm seeing in the post may not be exactly what is in your yaboot.conf...check your "device" entry again just to be sure...maybe you added it while cutting and pasting for your message to the list...who knows).

Anyway, that's it for now. See if any of the above helps.

jeff