Re: iBook G3 owners

On Sunday 17 April 2005 12:14 am, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > You're a genius! I gave that a go (actually I made that edit in 3
> > locations in that file, per your earlier email on the topic -- was that
> > okay, or should I do it with just the one line?) and it seemed to help.
>
> There isn't that much genius in there, and I still have no explanation
> why that works in fact. There is something really strange happening with
> those machines.

I wish you were in Southern California. I'd volunteer my machine as a guinea
pig for you.

> There are still issues with USB, I would be careful if I were you, that
> is unplug stuffs before suspend.

Okay. Vanilla 2.6.7 worked absolutely beautifully for me -- I could do
anything I want with USB devices, suspend worked great, etc. It only had
trouble with DRI, and of course no HAL, which is what prompted this painful
process. :-)

> > Right now I'm tracking down why the X server won't go past 640x480. It's
> > a problem also with unpatched 2.6.12-rc2, so now I'm compiling vanilla
> > 2.6.11 to see if the problem manifests itself there. The Xorg log reads:
>
> The X server behaviour has nothing to do with the kernel here.
<snip>
> The problem is that the dislay in this machine doesn't do DDC and the X
> server is too dumb to try to obtain the panel size without it. Just do
> what you did, that is put some wide enough refresh ranges and tell it to
> do 1024x768x60.

Yeah, I'd think so, except that 1024x768 worked under Ubuntu's 2.6.10, and my
vanilla 2.6.7, and the kernel's the only change I've been making on the
machine.

Steve