Re: Strange frequency reported by the kernel

> I received a G3 upgrade card for a PowerMac 9500 as a gift from one of
> the subscribers of this list (hi, Tormod!).
>
> I replaced the dual 180/MP G04e daughter card with this new G3 upgrade
> and the last time that I booted with MacOS 8.1, it reported the card
> being having a G3 450MHz.
>
> I have eliminated MacOS from my system and went Debian only, but one
> curious thing I saw with kernels from the 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 series is
> that they report the frequency of the processor as 195MHz. The
> bogomips count presented in /proc/cpuinfo indicates 796.67, which
> would lead me to believe that there is something slightly wierd with
> this setup.
>
> Here is the complete /proc/cpuinfo on this machine:
> processor	: 0
> cpu		: 740/750
> clock		: 195MHz
> revision	: 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
> bogomips	: 796.67
> machine	: Power Macintosh
> motherboard	: AAPL,9500 MacRISC
> detected as	: 16 (PowerMac 9500/9600)
> pmac flags	: 00000000
> L2 cache	: 512K unified
> memory	: 64MB
> pmac-generation	: OldWorld
>
> I also learned that I should enable the L2 cache of this card to get
> better performance. Is this indeed necessary?
>
> I am open to any questions regarding my setup.
>

> Thanks in advance for any help, Rogério Brito.

Rogerio,

>From what I've remembered reading, the speed detection was always
problematic on the 1st generation PCI machines with G3 and G4 upgrades,
and I think the problem was never cleanly resolved as it did not cause
any real trouble ...  From the bogomips rating, it looks like you have
a ~ 400 MHz CPU...

To get the L2 cache activated, I think you need to write a value to
the l2cr variable which lives somewhere in the /proc directory.  I
think the "find" command should point you to it.  And if not - google
is your friend ;-)

I just had a couple of questions, if you didn't mind...  What kernel
did you use to get SMP support for your 2x 604e card (I tried on my
8500 and was unsuccessful).  And what are you using to boot linux
without MacOS on this machine ?

cheers
vinai