atyfb gives penguin logo, but no more ...

Hi again folks,

I've been trying to get at the lack of console video with my Mach 64
card on my 8500.  Per Michael's suggestions, I again tried forcing
resolutions through BootX arguments, but with no luck.  I did have a
little bit of luck elsewhere though.

I was looking at my .config, where CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=m.
However, I don't use a RAM disk with my kernel.  I changed this to
=y, recompiled and rebooted with the new kernel.  Now, after the
arch: exit message, I get the penguin logo !!  However, still no
text.  So ,my question is - what does the rest of the boot process
need, in terms of fonts, etc ?  It looks like I have video, just
nothing to show ...

cheers
vinai