Re: Sound on PowerMac G5

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:36 +0200, Stephan Meyen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I bought a PowerMac G5 just 2 month ago and everything goes fine - except
> sound (what a surprise). I pretty much understand that Apple uses
> several different onboard-chipsets for sound. I also understand that my
> chipset is behind a bridge, so lspci won't tell me too much. My dmesg
> tells me something like
>
> pmac: can't request resource 0!
> no PMac soundchip found
>
> So can anybody tell me a way to find out what chip exactly I have?

It's not on PCI, it's burried into an Apple ASIC. The problem is that
pretty much every apple machine model uses a different sound setup,
either different chips, different IO pins controlling them, etc... it's
a total mess.

I posted a patch to the powermac Alsa driver to linuxppc64-dev a couple
of days ago that adds basic analog support for some desktop G5s.
However, if yours is one of those new single CPU desktop, it will
probably not work. (what is the machine model in /proc/cpuinfo ?)

I intend to rewrite the powermac Alsa sound driver completely in order
to deal with all the new setups, but that will take some time.

Ben.