Re: Kernel-image-2.6.11(fixed typo)

Sven Luther wrote:

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:55:49PM -0700, Michael wrote:
I did apt-get update today and installed the latest version of the kernel image 2.6.11 package, whether that is still 2.6.11-1 I don't remember, but actually under the advice of Sven I did install the powerpc-smp one. As I figurred on boot my sccreen goes blank while the rest of the starrtup happens. But as I told Sven I would "play ball" and file official bug reports against the kernel package. So does this qualify for a bug report, and/or could somebody point me to the process?

apt-get install reportbug
reportbug kernel-source-2.6.11
... fill in the details ...

Also I am using the xserrver package from the unstable branch, What does it mean when you start it and the error reported was that it could not find a valid framebuffer device?

Mmm, strange.

And just to clarify I know it says this because I have booted with video=ofonly, logged in, and then run startx, but the framebuffer I am suposed to use is aty128fb. But my fear is that if the video=ofonly is passed to the kernel at login that that will stop the x-server from being able to access the aty128 framebuffer, could someone tell me if my fears are justified in that?

Seems a reasonable conclusion. Since as far as i know, offb doesn't let
himself be unloaded for another framebuffer device to take on.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Ok being pissed off that I couldn't figure this out, I just started typing stuff into the video argument and I think I had some success at what I needed to do, and either located a bug or typed something wrong. Jaguar reports my screen as having the following resolutions:
800x600,124 Hz
832x624,120 Hz
1024x768,99 Hz
1056x792,96 Hz
1280x1024,75 Hz
1600x1200,64 Hz
I booted with "video=aty128fb:1024x768@99" and got video! But alas it was zeroed wrong :( What I mean by this is ok when you boot you see the penguin at the top left corner, now for me I have the smp so I have two penguins side-by-side, and the video cut everything off before the second penguin. So now I think I got somewhere, so I kept testing. I booted with "video=aty128fb:1024x768@99Hz" screen goes blank after the smp_ messages.
I booted "video=aty128fb:800x600@124" screen goes blank
I booted "video=aty128fb:800x600@124Hz" screen goes blank
I booted "video=aty128fb:832x624@120" screen goes blank
I booted "video=aty128fb:1024x768@99" I get the offset video display again!
I booted "video=aty128fb:1056x792@96" screen goes blank
Now in my research people that have run X Sessions on this monitor in linux have only had luck with 1024x768, so I'm guessing that's the only resolution that will work. Oh yeah I also booted plain "video=aty128fb" and the scrreen went blank, so does this tell anyone anything?
--Mike