permission on partition

Hey!
I need another kind of advice. During the standard installation on ppc I created beside the root-partition (on which there's also /home) another 30-Gig-vfat-partition to exchange data with MacOS. MacOS does not seem to be able to recognize it. But at least I'd like to be able to use it from Linux. Only as root I can access it, read and write. But even as root I am not able to change the permissions, why??
I believed, defaults might be enough as value. Am I wrong with this?
Greets.
-Bjoern.

Aemilia:/home/bjosch# ls -la /emporion
totale 20
drwxr--r--   2 root root 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 .
drwxr-xr-x  23 root root  4096 2005-04-03 13:46 ..

Aemilia:/home/bjosch# chown -R bjosch /emporion
chown: proprietario di `/emporion' è stato cambiato: Operation not permitted

My fstab is this:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda6       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda7       /emporion       vfat    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

--
Composed and send with Thunderbird on Debian "Sarge" (PPC)