Re: Firewire HDs, Sleep, and Sound

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 23:53 -0700, Ray Kohler wrote:
> I have here a new install of Debian PPC on a desktop
> PowerMac (the Windtunnel). I'm running Sid with kernel
> 2.6.11. Most everything works fine, but I've got a few
> problems/questions that I couldn't track down. I'm new
> to Debian PPC, but not new to either Debian or PPC in
> general, so you don't have to be too gentle on me ;)
>
> 1) I have a Firewire HD that I can't get to work. It's
> an OWC Mercury disk. When I plug it in, I see this in
> the logs:

for that one, I'll let you deal with the folks on linux-1394 mailing
list.

> 2) Sound only partially works (Snapper). In
> particular, only the internal speaker works. I have
> some external speakers connected to the
> Headphone/Line-out jack. snd-powermac is loaded.
> alsamixer &c won't let me unmute that device.

Hrm... That should work ! Can you send me a tarball of /proc/device-tree
of your machine ?

> 3) Can I suspend this machine, either to RAM or to
> disk? I saw some tools for doing it on a laptop (pmud)
> - will these work on this desktop model?

Suspend-to-ram is "partially" supported. That is, I have code that will
suspend-to-ram and wake up the machine, and I have code that deals even
with doing so on SMP (is your machine SMP ?), but the problem is to
rvive the video card. So it pretty much depends what video card you have
in there... If it's an nvidia, it's hopeless. If it's an ATI, I can
probably make it work, though it might require some time ... What does
lspci says ?