Re: Firewire HDs, Sleep, and Sound

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:53:52PM -0700, Ray Kohler wrote:
> I have here a new install of Debian PPC on a desktop
> PowerMac (the Windtunnel). I'm running Sid with kernel
> 2.6.11. Most everything works fine, but I've got a few
> problems/questions that I couldn't track down. I'm new
> to Debian PPC, but not new to either Debian or PPC in
> general, so you don't have to be too gentle on me ;)
>
> 1) I have a Firewire HD that I can't get to work. It's
> an OWC Mercury disk. When I plug it in, I see this in
> the logs:
>
> Apr  9 00:45:50 arkadia kernel: ieee1394: got invalid
> ack 252 from node 65473 (tcode 4)
> [ ... ]

SCSI is shaky here, on a Powerbook G4 /2.6.10, too :)

Did you try to shut down the firewire modules, and then reload them?

Something like:

1:
modprobe -r eth1394  ohci1394 sbp2 sd_mod sg

2:
modprobe -r iee1394 scsi_mod

3:
modprobe iee1394 scsi_mod

4:
modprobe eth1394  ohci1394 sbp2 sd_mod sg

> 2) Sound only partially works (Snapper). In
> particular, only the internal speaker works. I have
> some external speakers connected to the
> Headphone/Line-out jack. snd-powermac is loaded.
> alsamixer &c won't let me unmute that device.

I had lots of problems getting alsa sound to work here:

Please:
Go to alsamixer, check the values for
"PC Speak" and "Auto Mut", write down the current values. Then start
toggling their settings by pressing "m": My default values here are

  MM             00
PC Speak       Auto Mut

Right now I changed them to

  00             MM
PC Speak       Auto Mut

and with the latter setting both the external speakers and the built-in
ones of the computer are enabled. If this does not help: Did you try
unloading/loading the sound modules?

In alsamixer: PCM is up?

The modules:
Here:
 lsmod | grep snd
snd_powermac           48132  3
snd_pcm_oss            67940  0
snd_mixer_oss          23296  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               115128  2 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              29316  1 snd_pcm
snd                    67992  11 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11876  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11620  1 snd_pcm

I just did
/etc/init.d/alsa force-reload

and it killed my whole sound system, including pbbuttonsd, as it
seems .. :) ... and only after restarting pbbuttinsd I got sound back
here, IIRC ... :

apt-cache show pbbuttonsd [Excerpt:]

" PBButtons is a program suite to handle the special hotkeys of an Apple
 iBook, Powerbook or TiBook.
 With this programs the keys for the display brightness, the volume of
 speaker and headphone, the mute key and the eject key will do their job
 as expected."

If I understand your next question below perhaps the fact you don't
have installed something like pbbuttonsd, or an equivalent for your
machine, might be a reason sound does not work as it should on your
machine: Anyone out there knowing more on that?

> 3) Can I suspend this machine, either to RAM or to disk? I saw some
> tools for doing it on a laptop (pmud) - will these work on this
> desktop model?

Like above:
I don't know your machine, so anyone out there knowing what
power/sound management tool he needs? Something like a pbbuttonsd
equivalent for Windtunnel? ..

Good luck

Regards
Wolfgang

PS: I hope my mail editor/me didn't change your quoted message, except
for reformatting the line wrapping, perhaps ... Sorry if it/I did ...

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer