Re: aty128fb

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 02:14 -0700, Michael wrote:
Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 01:24 -0700, Michael wrote:

Not Sure which one that is Ben, I am new to some the jargon used on these boards. The night before last it actually clicked in my head afaik mean As Far As I Know, (sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake) I actually compiled 2.6.11.6 two days ago and that didn't work for me, and the last build I did I built aty128fb as a module, and was going to try loading it after login, but I kept running out of space on all my partitions, so I am in the course of rebuilding my system now, and I may take that advice and build one of your own old 2.4 kernels that have been so widely raved about on the 'net. Is rsync the only way to get them, or do you have a tarball file somewhere, on a dialup connection that manually times out after 6 hours, rsyncing kernel source may be out of the question. (It only gets 28.8 k speeds, damn the copper :( )
Hrm.... 2.6.11.6 should work fine. Tried using the pmac_defconfig file
(arch/ppc/configs/pmac_defconfig) ? It contains all you need for most
mac models. aty128fb should definitely be built-in, not a module, and
you shouldn't have to add any special kernel argument, it should pick up
your card automatically.

What model of machine is this exactly ?

Ben.

it's the Gigabit Ethernet model, I forgot that, and wasn't sure how specific you wanted,

What do you have in /proc/cpuinfo ? And what does lspci says ?

Ben.

/proc/info reports
processor    : 0
cpu        : 7400, altivec supported
temperature     : 27-29 C (uncalibrated)
clock        : 450MHz
revision    : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips    : 894.97
machine        : PowerMac3,3
motherboard    : PowerMac3,3 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as    : 65 (PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics)
pmac flags    : 00000004
L2 cache    : 1024K unified
memory        : 896MB
pmac-generation    : NewWorld

lspci returns:
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth AGP
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDS
0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth PCI
0001:10:0d.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21154 (rev 05)
0001:11:07.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo Mac I/O (rev 03)
0001:11:08.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0001:11:09.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0001:11:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394 Controller (Link)
0002:21:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth Internal PCI
0002:21:0f.0 ffff: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth GMAC (Sun GEM) (rev ff)

I will also follow suit with vinai, and recompile the kernel, but as he asked, where do I pull in those sources? For now I will get back into debian and search kernel.org, but also maybe recompile on the debian 2.6.11 tree, I think maybe something was helping there, because normally when x tries to start the screen just flashes blank 4 or 5 times, when I booted with a self compiled kernel I actually saw the underline of the cursor
--Mike