Re: aty128fb

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 01:24 -0700, Michael wrote:

Not Sure which one that is Ben, I am new to some the jargon used on these boards. The night before last it actually clicked in my head afaik mean As Far As I Know, (sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake) I actually compiled 2.6.11.6 two days ago and that didn't work for me, and the last build I did I built aty128fb as a module, and was going to try loading it after login, but I kept running out of space on all my partitions, so I am in the course of rebuilding my system now, and I may take that advice and build one of your own old 2.4 kernels that have been so widely raved about on the 'net. Is rsync the only way to get them, or do you have a tarball file somewhere, on a dialup connection that manually times out after 6 hours, rsyncing kernel source may be out of the question. (It only gets 28.8 k speeds, damn the copper :( )

Hrm.... 2.6.11.6 should work fine. Tried using the pmac_defconfig file
(arch/ppc/configs/pmac_defconfig) ? It contains all you need for most
mac models. aty128fb should definitely be built-in, not a module, and
you shouldn't have to add any special kernel argument, it should pick up
your card automatically.

What model of machine is this exactly ?

Ben.

This is a G4 Dual 450 the rage 128 pro card is plugged into an AGP slot, according to OS X, Slot-A(AGP)
Card Type                   Display
Card Name                  ATY,Rage128Pd
Card Model                 ATY,Rage128Pro
Vendor ID                   1002
Device ID                    5046
ROM #                        113-72701-125
Revision                       0
Card (Video) Memory 16
thanx,
I was just wondering about something too, if I used OFfb could that help?
--Mike