Re: installing kernel 2.6: running into problems

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:23:37PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >However, I'm not able to get 2.6 kernels to work.  here are my
> >problems:
> >
> >/var/log/messages.  When I go to type in the root password, my (apple
> >standard) usb keyboard doesn't work.
> >
> >However, again, all the USB peripherals are useless.  Fortunately,
> >this time stuff is recorded in /var//log/messages.  Not much happens,
> >
> Hi Matt.  I don't know if it will help, but when I tried updating to the
> 2.6.8 kernel I ran into the keyboard not working as well.  I posted a
> couple of days ago about it, and this morning I got it working.  The
> only notable thing I did was apt-get install hotplug, and then I had to
> change the path to my initrd in yaboot.conf, I removed the of path from
> infront.
> initrd=hd:10,/boot/blah to initrd=/boot/blah.  Something like that.  not
> sure why that would boot before, and not after I installed hotplug, but
> if it works it works right?

hey michael,

I was just going to write you back... I've got things working too,
though by a different route.  I had to do the following:
in /etc/fstab, take out the following lines (and I don't know how
these got there, probably some experimenting long ago):

usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs noauto 0 0

with:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

my problem, I guess, was twofold:
-the usb filesystem wasn't mounting in /proc, so hotplug couldn't find
any of the devices; and
-the /sys filesystem wasn't mounting either, so udev couldn't find the
hard disks.

then also apt-get install --reinstall hotplug, and voila!  everything works.  am
beginning to experiment with udev and am loving it...

matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User
`. `'` 	     & hemi-geek