Re: apt-build errors

On Apr 2, 2005 9:20 AM, David Pye <dmp@davidmpye.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Having mcpu set to 'Medium' is going to make it unhappy seeing as there isn't
> a CPU type called Medium. The error from gcc says exactly that.
>
> You could either try setting -mcpu= correctly, or commenting out that line in
> the apt-build.conf

Thank you for the response. Being a complete neophyte, I left the
settings at the apt-build package defaults, not expecting the default
to be invalid! (I have not found docs for the settings in
apt-build.conf)

I tried commenting out that line, and got a different set of errors,
so I need to learn how to set mcpu. I gather I need to tell it what
processor I have, but I don't know the syntax.

--------------------------

$ sudo apt-build install memstat
-----> Installing build dependencies (for memstat) <-----
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
-----> Downloading memstat source (memstat 0.4) <-----
-----> Updating package lists <-----
(snip)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Need to get 22.4kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main memstat 0.4 (dsc) [582B]
Get:2 http://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main memstat 0.4 (tar) [21.8kB]
Fetched 2B in 0s (8B/s)
Skipping unpack of already unpacked source in memstat-0.4
-----> Building memstat <-----
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is memstat
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.4
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is root <root@pbg3>
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type,
falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type,
falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is powerpc
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type,
falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type,
falling back to default (native compilation)
 debian/rules clean
test -f memstat.c -a -f debian/rules
rm -f build
rm -rf *~ *.o memstat debian/tmp debian/files* debian/substvars
 debian/rules build
test -f memstat.c -a -f debian/rules
/usr/bin/make prefix=/usr
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/cache/apt-build/build/memstat-0.4'
cc -O2 -Wall    memstat.c   -o memstat
make[1]: *** [memstat] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/cache/apt-build/build/memstat-0.4'
make: *** [build] Error 2
----> Cleaning up object files <-----
test -f memstat.c -a -f debian/rules
rm -f build
rm -rf *~ *.o memstat debian/tmp debian/files* debian/substvars
Error while building memstat!
Sorry, can't find memstat, is it already installed?
(Remove it first, or try running 'apt-get clean')
$