Kernel 2.6.8

The one thing that I have been trying to achieve since my dist-upgrade is the kernel. I am still using the 2.4.18 stock Woody kernel. After some searching I found the kernel-image packages in aptitude. Then after more research actually found out how to boot an initrd kernel image. I am trying to use the 2.6.8 kernel image, and am having some problems.
FATAL: Module autofs not found
FATAL: Module usmdos not found
now that's only what I can see the biggy is that upon the login prompt, the keyboard ceases to function. and I think when I ran ybin it "deblessed" my boot block, it complained of the kerrnel being too old, and then the only way I could boot into linux, was through open firmware

As always any help would be much appreciated
--Mike