hotplug & usb keyboards

hi folks,

having some troubles with my 2.6 kernels, and in trying to figure them
out came across this in /usr/share/doc/hotplug/README.Debian:

Notes:
 * USB keybord configuration
   If you're booting with a USB keyboard and/or mouse, and want to
defend   against boot failures like missing modules, you should
probably use static   linking for the "hid", "keybdev" (and/or
"mousedev"), "input", "usbcore",   and USB Host Controller modules.

does this mean that they should be compiled directly into hte kernel,
or that they should be listed in /etc/modules, or does "static
linking" mean something else I don't udnerstand?

I'm hoping this will help me out...

thanks,

matt

 .''`.       Matt Price