Re: Is it possible to run a tv card?

Hello Rainer!

Am 04.03.2005 um 21:40 schrieb Rainer Gutkas:

Is it possible to run a tv card on debian ppc?
Whatch TV in full screen mode?
record tv to disc?
Which programs (packages would I need?)

Yes, yes, and yes
xawtv fbtv or vdr

I ran an analog tv card (bttv-module) for some time in a beige G3 there were no problems with this card. If I rember right is was an old Formac Pro TV card. If you want to record analog tv you need a really fast cpu. I never tried this. It is also possible to run a DVB card with linux-ppc. You can use every kind of DVB like -S, -T and -C. And you can record this on a slow cpu because it is native mpeg2.

This is a good starting-point for DVB: http://www.vdrportal.de/board/portal.php and this one is for analog tv cards: http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/bttv/bttv-gallery.html

BTW. DVB works without a problem with kernel 2.4 on ppc but kernel 2.6 panics or just freezes with my DVB card when I want to get the video on my monitor. Look into the mail archive for somethings about DVB and Formac Pro TV

Bye,
Christoph