Re: Very slow ftp daemon - what's wrong??

    "Bjorn" == Bjorn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> writes:

    Bjorn> I have a problem here. I'm running Sarge on two computers
    Bjorn> in a small local network. Both computers have a 100Mbit
    Bjorn> network card installed but despite this I get very poor
    Bjorn> performance using the proftpd daemon. Not even 1Mbit.. 8-(
    Bjorn> Proftpd is installed on both computers.

Hi Brjorn,

Perhaps you're way ahead of me here, but out of curiosity I will ask:

What is the best performance you get between those two
machines.

Something like

scp largefile user@remote:path

will give you a some kind of baseline rate to compare with.

What I am asking is are you sure you have isolated the problem to
proftpd alonge, or is this something to do with these two machines
(like a seriously slow disk, driver, some reason that one card has
negotiated 10 Mbps, a slow FTP proxy between them)?

I no longer run a ftp daemon, so I can't offer much more
assistance. The only thing I can think is to turn of UseReverseDNS and
IdentLookups in the config file, but from memory that only affects the
connect time and not the transfer rate.

Cheers!
Shyamal