Re: Xserve G5 disks

Hi,

I encountered a similar problem when I was trying to install Debian on a
SATA drive in my 8500.  I wanted to partition the disk for MacOS classic
and Debian, but Apple's Disk utility would not recognize the drive.  I
ended up using my old debian installer to partition the disk, and used
cp -ax to do a direct copy of my old system, partition by partition, to
the new disk.

In your case, you'd probably have to do the opposite - have Apple's disk
utility partition the disk as you wish, and use your current Debian disk
to format and copy over your partitions.  You will probably have to edit
/etc/fstab and /etc/yaboot.conf on the system you copied over to reflect
the new disk layout, but it should be a quick and dirty way to get you
up and running on your Xserve.

cheers
vinai

P.S. How noisy is your Xserve in light to moderate usage ?