Re: ppc64 missing from upstream 2.6.15-rc6?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:46:08AM +0200, Eduardo Trápani wrote:
> >You need to do :
> >
> >  make-kpkg --config oldconfig --arch powerpc ...
>
> I tried, the error is below.  What is the alternative way to build the
> kernel?  In i386 I used to make zImage and then copy the files from
> arch/boot or something like that.  Is there documentation on how to do it
> for these kernels?
>
> Thanks, Eduardo.
>
> # make-kpkg --arch powerpc --initrd kernel-image
>
> ====== making target debian/stamp-build-kernel [new prereqs: sanity_check
> stamp-kernel-conf]======
> /usr/bin/make    ARCH=ppc \
>                     zImage
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-rc6'
>  CHK     include/linux/version.h
>  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>  CHK     usr/initramfs_list
>  GEN     .version
>  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
>  CC      init/version.o
>  LD      init/built-in.o
>  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o: In function `power4_idle': multiple
> definition of `power4_idle'
> arch/ppc/kernel/idle_power4.o:arch/ppc/kernel/idle_power4.S:(.text+0x4):
> first defined here
> make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-rc6'
> make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2
>
> #

Eduardo,

In your earlier posting you wrote "Just leaving out the --subarch
seems to work." If this means you already compiled successfully one
kernel without a flag like that then I'd omit the "--arch" option:
I don't remember having *ever* used this option for a, admittedly,
non-ppc64, but ppc kernel. IIRC gcc automatically detects the
architecture of a computer and then compiles accordingly ....

I'd keep things as simple as possible: every extra flag might become
the source of a fail, so if I don't need it I'll scrap it ... :)

Furthermore: Instead of doing something like a
"make-kpkg --config oldconfig"
I'd do a plain old "make oldconfig" or "make config" or "make
menuconfig" etc. instead:
This way one can safely stop editing the .config for a new kernel, and
then continue later on, after having saved the changes to the
.config; the option for the latter could be very convenient because
doing a kernel .config can become a time consuming task (easily a
dozen or more hours if it's one's first config)

man make-kpkg
One of my favorites: /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz

To read files like the latter with 'less', and without the need to
unzip them simply put something like this into your bashrc (Don't ask
me about the "lesspipe %s" flag: I don't know exactly what it
means (Anyone out there who does ...? .. :)). It just works for the automatic unzip stuff... :) .. :

---------------------------------
LESS=-MM
LESSCHARSET=latin1
#LESSCHARSET=utf-8
#LESSCHARSET=latin9
LESSOPEN="|lesspipe %s"

export LESSOPEN LESSCHARSET LESS
---------------------------------

man less
man lesspipe

After editing the kernel .config, something like this:

MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-4.0"  fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-special-name --revision whatever kernel_image

Replace "whatever" and "-special-name" with names you want. And the
command above does not create an initrd image, IINM ....

Are you sure you need initrd? I live happily without it on a 2.6
kernel, since quite some time ... :)

What did I miss? ... :) .... Anyone? ...

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on