Re: ppc64 missing from upstream 2.6.15-rc6?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:46:08AM +0200, Eduardo Trápani wrote:
> >You need to do :
> >
> >  make-kpkg --config oldconfig --arch powerpc ...
>
> I tried, the error is below.  What is the alternative way to build the
> kernel?  In i386 I used to make zImage and then copy the files from
> arch/boot or something like that.  Is there documentation on how to do it
> for these kernels?
>
> Thanks, Eduardo.
>
> # make-kpkg --arch powerpc --initrd kernel-image
>
> ====== making target debian/stamp-build-kernel [new prereqs: sanity_check
> stamp-kernel-conf]======
> /usr/bin/make    ARCH=ppc \

This is the culprit, you can go into
/usr/share/kernel-package/kernel/arch/ppc.mk or ppc64.mk and edit it so it
says ARCH=powerpc. I have submitted a patch to #340629, but it is tentative
and untested, would be nice if you could help out iron it out, CCing the bug
report.

Manoj, i would like to know how the .mk snipplets are chosen, i think the best
solution for this would be to have make-kpkg check the version being built,
and for <2.6.15, chose ppc.mk or ppc64.mk depending on if the arch exported by
the kernel is ppc or ppc64, and for kernels bigger than 2.6.15 (or rc
versions) chose the powerpc.mk snipplet instead, and then normally the patch i
provide should be ok. Not sure, you are the master of this, and i failed to
understand how the snipplet are chosen, but then i didn't look long.

Friendly,

Sven Luther