System freezes on iMac G5

Dear all,

I installed debian on my iMac G5, and while I eventually
overcame the bug in testing's yaboot[1], I faced strange freezes on the
system freshly installed.

I finally figured out that the system was crashing when I was pressing
the TAB key on console, because the shell then wants to emit sound, and
the sound driver is completely broken[2].

I rmmoded the driver (snd_powermac), and it solves the problem, however,
obviously, I have no sound anymore, which is not fun.

Does aynbody of you know a workaround? Some old pages found via Google
talk about a module named dmasound_powermac, but I did not find it in
/lib/kernel...

Best,

--
Charles