Re: stock kernel 2.6.12 eth0/eth1 swapped

On Dec 10, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 10:06:37PM -0500, Rich Johnson wrote:
I've hit another snag trying to get etch up and running on my G4 Cube.
[...snip...]
The bottom line is that a 2.6.12 stock kernel cannot access the network.

I have definitely a problem with believing that one ... :)

Yeah, so did I, but Im still frustrated.  So, let me be more precise:
- The bottom line is that the 2.6 kernel's introduction of unstable network device names breaks pre-existing network configurations without warning and there is no ready guidance on how to fix the problem.

There're lot's of suggestions out there--involving /etc/iftab, /etc/ mactab, ifrename, hotplug, et al--but nothing definitive. I have yet to find any providing /etc/init.d scripts!

I'm a bit lost as to whether ifrename is the ''correct'' way to
correct this problem.  Its man page reports that it _cannot reliably_
rename eth0 and eth1.

I never, IIRC, used 'ifrename'..

IIRC: I did a 'ifconfig -a', checked which interface were the correct
one I needed for my Ethernet connection, and then set the
/etc/network/interfaces file to exactly the interface (i.e. eth0,
eth1, whatever ...) that was recognised by the system to be
responsible for my (wired) ethernet connection to the world ... :)

All the above only provided my lousy memory serves me well ... :)

Have any of you folks encountered this?

Yes, at least similar to it:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/10/threads.html#00149

HTH

Yeah, it helps a bit. But things just break again when I go back to a 2.4 kernel and device names revert. What I'd like is a standard approach to get a configuration that works for both 2.4 and 2.6 series kernels.

Assuming a debian solution exists, I'll ask the question this way:
  - What package establishes stable names for the network interfaces?

e.g. apt-get install <<what_pkg??>> and  dpkg-reconfigure <<what pkg??>>