Re: Powermac G3 graphics card question

Hi all,

On  30 Nov, this message from Hans Ekbrand echoed through cyberspace:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:19:20AM +0000, Robin Edwards wrote:
>> I currently have a pci rage128 installed in my mac running sid. if i
>> replaced this card with a pc pci graphics card (dual head would be
>> ideal). would i beable to get this to working under linux. im aware
>> that there are graphics card especially for macs, but id prefer to
>> use a standard pc one if it will work.
>
> I have successfully done that with a Matrox MGA PCI card on a Performa
> 6400.
>
> There were no output from the card until linux booted, but that did
> not bother me. For the card to give output before linux takes over, I
> think it would have to be programmed with some OF-drivers or
> something.

The Matrox Millenium is an example of a card that can be reflashed from
PC-style BIOS to Mac-Style OF Rom. I did that a few years ago; maybe you
can still find a Mac ROM for those cards.

Once flashed with a Mac ROM, the card works in OpenFirmware.

Note that I did that in a 7600, and I was disappointed by the card's
performance vs. the built-in Control video. But YMMV according to the
machine you try this in, and of course the type of old and new grafics
board.

Now, the original poster wanted to upgrade from a Rage 128, which is
already a decent grafics card. But there are faster Mac-style cards
(i.e. with OF Rom) equivalent to PC models on the market, where maybe
you can find a way to reflash them from PC to Mac ROM.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |