Re: Reset PegasOS Open Firmware configuration to default

[Sorry Sven, this was meant for the list, not you personaly]

Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 04:52:20PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
>> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:

>> > I still don't get this, can you write me your exact problems in
>> > personal email ?
>>
>> I'm currently working on a mail about this (I've been doing that since
>> you told me to hookup a serial console a couple of months ago :)
>>
>> I'm busy, and getting 2.6 up and running on the PegasOS is quite
>
> low-priority ? I mean, you are losing time and effort to try something which
> has not been support by either genesi, debian or upstream since a couple of
> years, and you find no time to get the out-of-the-box working 2.6 kernel up
> and running on your box ?

Why should I mess with a working system!? The 2.4 kernel have been working
flawlessly since I got it (pre-installed) about a year ago... Getting a faster
kernel (i.e. 2.6) is only a BONUS, not a REQUIRENMENT!

>> low-prio. Although it just jumped up to first place. The PegasOS is
>> the only machine I have that can display X 'correctly' (i.e. with
>> enough speed to be usable :).
>
>> > Can you boot the debian kernel fine ?
>>
>> That IS the debian kernel! That's the weird part! _MY_ kernels get
>> some de-compression errors (can't remember which though).
>
> Ah, it works out of the box, for all pegasos boxes i know about.

Well, now you know one that it DOESN'T work for :)

>> > Just remove the keyboard and you will get the serial console, don't
>> > forget to boot with console=ttyS1,115200n8.
>>
>> That was what I tried. That is usual behaviour on SPARC, and the Open
>> Firmware is 'almost' the same (just not as good if you ask me). Before
>> I even tried redirecting i/o, I tried to just remove the keyboard - nothing...
>
> mmm, what pegasos revision/model do you have, and what is the date of your
> firmware ?

Motherboard rev 283. Don't know the date/rev of the firmware. Forgot to check
while it (the config/setup) was working.

>> > You can try an OF upgrade.
>>
>> That was what I thought as well, but I couldn't find anything
>> about that...
>
> Look at the bapln-gmbh web page.

Oki, found it. I was under the inpression that I had a PegasOS 1 (one)
machine. Never understood the 'DUAL' it said on the motherboard. But looking
at the pictures, it's quite obvious that it's a II.

But I'm still in trouble here. It require me to press enter before doing
the update and I can't do that...

>> I guess I can try 'type in the blind'. I've done quite extensive
>> repairs without any display :)

Nope, didn't seem to work.

> I don't know, i feel you might have buggy or strange hardware.

Looks like it.

I can't remember, but does the 2.4 kernel on the PegasOS have anything like
the /proc/openprom the SPARC kernel(s) have? If it does, MAYBE I can hack the
init script(s) to change the {input,output}-device files.

On my SPARC(s) I have the files:

----- s n i p -----
root@aurora:/proc/openprom/options# cat /proc/openprom/options/{input,output}-device
'ttya'
'ttya'

Just MAYBE I can change that to 'keyboard' and 'screen' respectivly by just echo'ing
text to the files and then have it rebooted...

But if I'm not misstaken, last time I tried to _change_ files there on my SPARC(s),
the kernel crashed...
--
Delta Force pits supercomputer security critical fissionable Marxist
nitrate assassination Ortega AK-47 Semtex North Korea Cuba Panama