Re: CD Drive Issue Installing on iMac G5

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 20:08 +1300, Torrance wrote:
> Hiya everyone,
>
> I'm a total newbie to Linux/Debian and I'm trying to install Sarge on
> my iMac G5. I'm getting past the initial installer screens, setting
> the language, country, keyboard, etc. HOWEVER, just before it attempts
> to run the rest of the installer of the CD it comes up with an error
> claiming it cannot locate the CD drive. It asks me to locate the
> driver (I think) but I wouldn't know where to point it.
>
> I have no idea what to do - but this must be a common problem with
> hardware that is as generic as Apple's. Can anyone help?
>
> These are my computer specs in brief:

You probably need a newer kernel. Also, 2.6.15 (which isn't final yet)
will contain proper fan control & processor speed control for this
machine, thus it won't sound like a vacuum cleaner :) (There are patches
you can apply yourself to earlier kernels too, look for them in the list
archives).

As for X, the free "nv" driver works fine provided I feed it with an
appropriate modeline. The version of nvidiafb in 2.6.15 works well too
(I fixed a few issues in it). You should set option "FPDither" "true" in
your xorg.conf for the nvidia stuff to get a better output on the flat
panel (it's a 6 bits per component panel, so without dithering, it
doesn't look good at 24bpp).

Ben.