Re: kernel-image install wedged

On Nov 15, 2005, at 10:06 PM, Sven Luther wrote:
I suppose I should also file one against the package management
utiilties as well.  There should _always_ be a means to recover from
buggy packages.

No, that would not be helpful, it is a bug in the part of the package
management embedded in the kernel package after all.

One of the symptoms I'm experiencing is that the failure of one package's management components causes apt-get to stumble and abort on every iteration--and this affects installation of non-dependent packages. I'm stuck in an entropic situation--I can't install the failing package, I can't remove the failing package, and I can't ignore the failing package. Any upgrade, including security upgrades, require iterations of apt-get [dist-]upgrade, dpkg -- configure -a; and an occasional apt-get install <package>. I can only be grateful that I'm not dealing with an orphaned package, otherwise the only option to right the system would be a fresh install.

So we'll just have to disagree. I maintain that the package management system should be able to deal with (contain) ill-behaved packages gracefully. It would be helpful to have a "--wipe <package>'' or ''--ignore <package>'' option to contain the situation until the offending package is repaired. BTW, I do realize that this'll probably be classified as a feature request.

That said, have a look at the backported 2.6.12 kernels i announced here a way
back.
Will do!

--rich