Re: quik

Hi,

firstly, you need to configure your mailing properly. Your mails are
sent using an adress called "pc <pc@localhost>". So you won't be able
to receive any replies adressed to you privately.

Secondly, using Quik isn't really easy, you might want to browse the
lists archive to get an impression of what might go wrong.

Personally, I'm running Linux on an Umax Pulsar, and made my own
experiences with Quik. For example, it turned out that the Harddisk
with the root partition didn't spin up on system start automatically,
but OpenFirmware doesn't sent the SCSI-SpinUp Command to the drive, so
it was unavailable for booting the kernel.
The next thing that broke my setup was the fact, that the SCSI drivers
needed to access the Diskdrives where located in the initrd, and not
in the kernel. So Quik needed to boot not only the kernel, but the
initrd, too. But if you set root=/dev/sdaX in your quik.conf, you'll
get stuck with a root-dev not found panic.
Additonally, the Display isn't initialised on boot, so it might be
that you have no or garbled output (even if you compile your own
kernel with the correct FB driver).

To make a long process short: I recommend using an OS 9 partition with
BootX installed. Format this partition with Standard HFS, not HFS+ if
possible, because standard HFS-support is more stable then the HFS+
driver.
Download BootX and the current kernel *including initrd*, copy it to
System Folder:Linux Kernels on the OS 9 partition. Set up bootx to use
the kernel, and select the initrd in the options menu.
If you're able to boot Linux, you might want to copy the kernel to the
boot disk. You'll either need the HFS-module to mount the partition,
or you use the hfstools with the hmount and hcp command.

Regards
Christian