Re: PowerBook G3 video resolution probs

Hi!

Sorry I didn't see youre post in the ubuntu forums. But now here's my response. Yes it's good to pass video parameters to old world maschines, at least I do this on a G3 Powerbook Wallstreet. I've found them on the web:

video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk

But in my experience this only effects the command line. In Ubuntu you should find the options for x under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I don't know bout the lomard, but the wallstreet has massive problems with the video resolution of newer kernels than 2.4. So you get little stripes running down the screen, a problem which only can be solved by cutting down the resolution and colour-mode. I also run Ubuntu on a Pismo. There ain't got any troubles with video and newer kernels. So I don't use the wallstreet as laptop anymore, because the display is broken. I run it as server and use to connect to it via ssh so this problems don't matter much to me. But I hope this post helps you along.

Best regards,

Rainer

Thomas Kühner schrieb:

Hi All

I tried Ubuntu and Debian 3.1 on my PowerBook G3 Lombard. Both distribtutions have the same problem. The only resoultion available in X11 is 640x480 @ 30 or 29 Hz.

As far as I know from other dists and Macs, video parameters have to be passed to the kernel at the boot: prompt in order to initialize the OpenFirmware driver.

I already posted this issue in the Ubuntu forum and filed a bug report to the Ubuntu developers but there was no response to this.

Does anyone know, hot to pass the correct parameters and what they should look like?

Any help is appreciated.

The thread in the Ubuntu-forum is this and explains the problem more detailed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79413

Thomas

Thomas Johannes Matthias Kühner
Kretzerstr. 20
DE-50733 Köln

Tel.: 0221-355 335 960

http://www.macgix.de
http://www.koelleontherocks.de

begin:vcard
fn:Rainer Gutkas
n:Gutkas;Rainer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kleiststr. 36;St.P=C3=B6lten;;A-3100;Austria
email;internet:rainer.gutkas@kstp.at
title:Bakk. techn. (B.Sc.)
version:2.1
end:vcard