Re: why kernel don't read partition table?

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 07:33:07PM +0200, marco giusti wrote:
> hi,
>   i was looking for mac-fdisk for printing my partition map, so i did:
>
> # mac-fdisk /dev/hda
> [my partition table]
> warning, there is an error ... bla bla bla... press w(rite) to correct.
> (ok, maybe it knows what it say so...)
>
> after a reboot...
>
> cannot open root device hda4 or unknow-block(3,4)
> kernel panic.
>
> with a live distro i cannot read the lost partitions. i don' know what
> to do. please help me, i cannot lose all my data.

Marco,

The data is not lost, it is still there, only the partition table is
not available to tell you where the boundaries are (the situation is
similar to destroying the catalog in a library, the books are still
there, you just can't find them).

Standard partition recovery tools may help you, unless Apple has some
unusual quirks about Mac partition tables.  Boot from ANOTHER disk or
a recovery CD, and check out testdisk, I haven't used it but it looks
promising.

If I were you, I would wait a day or more with this, some people on
this list might be able to give you better and more specific advice.

Whatever you do, don't change anything but the partition table.

% apt-cache show testdisk
Package: testdisk
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 1136
Maintainer: Jean-Michel Kelbert <kelbert@debian.org>
Architecture: powerpc
Version: 5.8-3
Depends: e2fslibs, libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libjpeg62, libncurses5 (>= 5.4-5), libntfs7 (>= 1.11.2)
Filename: pool/main/t/testdisk/testdisk_5.8-3_powerpc.deb
Size: 409100
MD5sum: fd018b0cd2b54c0256389fbb9df256a4
 TestDisk checks the partition and boot sectors of your disks.
 It is very useful in recovering lost partitions.
 It works with :
 * DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
 * NTFS ( Windows NT/2K/XP )
 * Linux Ext2 and Ext3
 * BeFS ( BeOS )
 * BSD disklabel ( FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD )
 * CramFS (Compressed File System)
 * HFS and HFS+, Hierarchical File System
 * JFS, IBM's Journaled File System
 * Linux Raid
 * Linux Swap (versions 1 and 2)
 * LVM and LVM2, Linux Logical Volume Manager
 * Netware NSS
 * ReiserFS 3.5 and 3.6
 * Sun Solaris i386 disklabel
 * UFS and UFS2 (Sun/BSD/...)
 * XFS, SGI's Journaled File System

Tamas

--
Bayesian statistics is difficult in the sense that thinking is difficult.
--Donald A. Berry, American Statistician 51:242 (1997)