Re: help with airport card on g3 powerbook

> > On Sep 7, 2005, at 5:47 AM, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> >
> > > If you don't use the Apple base station you have to disable
> encrypted
> > > communication in the acces point, because the original Apple
> Airport
> > > card only supports 40Bit WEP which is not longer supported by
> recent
> > > access points. They use 128bit WEP or WPA. The Apple Airport
> card
> > > can't
> > > connect to base stations configured for 128Bit WEP or WPA.
> > >

> > The Airport CARD supports 128-bit encryption. I don't know
> whether
> > the BASE STATION does, though!
>
> It seems that threre are different cards aout there. See mail from
> Chris Martin in this thread.
>
> Is there a method to read the encryption capabilities from the
> card?
> What makes you sure that your card supports WEP128?
>
>   Best Regards
>     Matthias

I am connecting to a wireless ap that is connected to high speed
phone line (dhl ?) via dhcp that goes to isp somewhere. I previously
connected with a pcmcia that is not 40 bit so it probabally is 128
and it is WEP key.
I was able to connect in that way using "hotplug"  and editing
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts. I never could get the pcmcia card
connected editing /etc/networks/interfaces using eth1 auto or eth1
manual with ifup.  Now I cant connect the airport with interfaces.
It seems to me that the trouble is the ap is not being "seen" by what
ever is suppose to do that task but I cant figure out what I am not
configuring properly.
I will try the live ubuntu when I get the time this weekend.
mike