Not able to control sound with gnome

Hi everyone!

I'm the proud owner of a G3 Pismo Powerbook.

The problem is that I can't change the level of the volume. When I go to the Gnome volume control center and change the settings the bar goes to minimun inmediately. When I change the volume in beep-media-player or mplayer the volume rest the same and when I press the pismo buttons for volume control nothing happens...

The extrange thing is that I do have sound. In fact I hear things quite loud. It seems that I can only control it when I'm using headphones, and when I remove them the volume mantains at the same level I had when the headphones where in.

I would appreciate any kind of help to control the volume as freely as I want. If you need any kind of additional information ask for it.

Thanks