Re: Usb harddisk trouble...

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 06:07:24PM +0200, Peter Plessas wrote:
> At power on, the HD gets listed in /proc/partitions:
>
>    8     0  195360984 sda
>    8     1   32764536 sda1	-> FAT32
>    8     2   32764567 sda2	-> FAT32
>    8     3   32764567 sda3	-> FAT32
>    8     4   97064730 sda4	-> ntfs
>
> The partitions were made on a win2k box.

In you kernel config, make sure you have CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION set
(file systems->partition types). But I suspect you already have this
as the partitions get recognized.

> As i try to mount the first partition:
>  gonzo:~# mount -v -t msdos /dev/sda1 /fw/
>  mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Try if any of these work:
mount -v -t vfat /dev/sda1 /fw/
mount -v -t fat /dev/sda1 /fw/
mount -v /dev/sda1 /fw/

If that does not work, run fdisk /dev/sda and see if that works okay.

--
Martin