Sound in g4

this is probably a totally newbie question, but I have just switched to debian from ubuntu, and am working on a self compiled 2.6.11 upstream kernel. I compiled all the sound stuff as modules, but I do not know what file to edit to load them, or even how to start. KDE reports no /dev/dsp on startup, and when I run lsmod it shows no snd or anything like that, so could someone point me in the right direction to start setting up sound on this thing?

--Mike S
if specs are needed this is a G4 Dual 450 (Gigabit Ethernet model) and I am not sure what the sound card is.