Re: accelerator boards

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, vinai wrote:

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, F. Heitkamp wrote:

Does Debian work with the accelerator boards for Macintosh computers?
Has anyone tested or had experience/problems with any of them?

It's not a matter of Debian working - it's whether the kernel supports
them or not.

For "newer macs" (i.e. anything with a built-in USB port), you should
be able to use G4 upgrades just fine.  The company making the upgrade
card may have firmware updates for you to install, which may require
you to run from OS X, but after that, you should be able to use them
in linux without any problems.

I have a "digital audio" G4 Mac with Dual 533 PPC 7410s. I was considering getting a dual 1.7GHz PowerLogix board. I say "considering" because I may just wait several months and get a G5.

Also I wonder If I would really see a significant performance increase?

Fred