keymap, maybe

ok, I am submitting this to both debian-powerpc and ubuntu because I am having the same problem in both distributions, and am totallly baffled. Two days ago the keys control, option, and shift, all stopped being recognized once the kernel took control. I mistakenly thought it was just my beyboard, but upon further testing, I found that more often than not these keys do work in OS X and in OS 9. This keyboard is going bad, and I am getting a new one, but since they do not work at all in linux, I fear this will not solve the problem I am having.

By once the kernel grabs ahold I mean that at the boot prompt I am able to type capitals and the colon that I need for the video argument to the kernel, but then after boot, can't do control c, and can't use shift for capitals or any of the other symbols shift is needed for. underscore, parenthesis, quotations, etc.

Any help is as always welcomed.

--Mike S

oh yeah, I am using the macally iMediakey, and getting the macally iKey II, the only difference is the new one won't have the media buttons that I never used anyways.