zillion printk messages suppressed

Hi,

When installing debian-sarge-netinst for PowerPC rc3 on an iBook it prints a
message like "500 printk messages suppressed" every couple of seconds.  Does
anyone know what this is?  It was so annoying I had to power off the machine.
I couldn't even switch to another vterm without that filling up the screen.

It's possible I screwed up the installation trying to figure out how to switch
to other virtual terminals.  The instructions in the installation guide were
wrong, or I misinterpreted them.  I switched by holding down ALT-LEFT (the
guide said something about F1 and so on, but that didn't work and confused
the installer.)

Thanks,
James