Re: MOL

Lee Braiden wrote:

On Thursday 19 May 2005 01:09, Fallen_Angel wrote:
Hi, it's been a while since I have posted to this list, and for that I
apologize.  Am I still welcome to post here since I have changed to
ubuntu?  At first I would think no, but then again it is based on SID,
so I am not sure.  Well if not tell me, and I will duck out, but if so I
have a question as always.

I would say that you should probably ask questions of your own distro first, just in case they have done something different. If no one from ubuntu knows, and they confirm that it's not an ubuntu-specific thing, that's a good time to take it to a larger, but similar distro, or the to mailing lists of the actual software itself.

This is pretty much what debian folk do with bugs anyway: we have our own bug reporting system, which "wraps" the bug reporting systems of the actual software, just in case debian has caused the problem itself.

I just compiled a 2.6.12-rc4 kernel, and am planning to use it as a main
kernel, not just to test it, and to use MOL you have to compile the
kernel module, and it says to use the current kernel headers, so my
question is this, must I recompile them, since they were compiled off
the 2.6.10-5-powerpc ubuntu kernel, and if so where do I put, and which
files are, the kernel headers for this kernel that I have just
compiled.  Ofcourse I still have the full source of the kernel I
compiled awaiting a response from this list.

Debian has a module-helper (or module-installer, or something like that) package to help with this, and other, lower-level utilities that make sure modules get installed to the right place. I'm not sure if ubuntu has those.

I'm not sure the question I asked is a "bug", The instructions for using MOL on ubuntu consisted of downloading the MOL packages, for the main stuff, and then downloading the source for the kernel module. Then to compile the kernel module you had to download the header files for the kernel you were running. (2.6.10-5-powerpc) in my case. And then it said that if you everr changed kernels you needed to recompile the kernel module with the header files from the kernel you are using, and my only question was what are these "header files" since ubuntu would surely not have a "header-file" package for a self compiled kernel.

--Mike S