Re: instruction cache throttling

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> writes:
> Did you see a significant difference in battery consumption with
> different ictc values ?

I had a play with something similar a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to do some
proper experiments before reporting back to the list, but I haven't got around
to it yet (and may not get to it until August). My plan was to produce
something along the lines of
<http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~abeard/FC3_ON_8600/governors.html>, which looks
at the effects of frequency scaling on a Dell laptop.

In my non-scientific messing around, which looked at temperature, not battery
life, it seemed to me that using ICTC resulted in a hotter chip than not using
it, for a load less than 100%. My test load was just playing Ogg Vorbis files,
IIRC if I used ICTC to make my iBook run with an effective execution rate of
133MHz, playing music took about 80% of CPU. Doing it this way, the CPU ran a
couple of degrees hotter than if I just used powernowd to switch between 1GHz
and 533MHz.

cheers,

John