Re: Seriuos stability problem using KDE apps

On Saturday 14 May 2005 17:56, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> I have an iBook G4 on Sid, 2.6.9 custom kernel (but that is not important,
> it happens with any kernel) and I am a Gnome user. I used to experience
> some "sudden" problems in audio, stability of some apps (especially the
> less "stable", as gdesklets or gnome-applets) and even some bad bad errors
> while compiling (gcc segfaults, assembler errors, gcc errors). In a word,
> system becomes unusable and only cure is a reboot.
>
> Now I think that this happens when I use a KDE application (namely, K3B,
> as it is the only one I use): I start it and it works quite badly (I/O
> errors, badly written CDs and so on), and after this the sound starts
> going bananas, the aforementioned errors start appearing until I am forced
> to reboot.

Sounds like you have bad memory, or you've misconfigured your hardware (RAM
timings, overclocked CPU, etc.)  Read the Sig-11 FAQ for more details
possible causes, and some info on how to eliminate possibilities.

On KDE, I'd guess you're either imagining the correlation, or you're seeing it
because loading KDE uses more memory/processing power than just whatever
non-KDE stuff you use alone.  Push a flakey system harder, and you're more
likely to see how flakey it is ;)

Good luck.  I've had a few really nasty issues that took me forever to figure
out.  Not fun :/

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.