flakey ibook keyboard

Anyone else have trouble with their ibook keyboard?  Mine suddenly takes to
repeating 22222222222s or some other key in X (but 2 is quite common), and I
just discovered that, with the g key xmodmap'ed to:

g G gcircumflex Gcircumflex

Sometimes it won't recognise the qualifier keys when I press
mode_switch+shift.  So, for example, it'll print g OK, and shift-g (G), and
mode_switch+g (ĝ), but most of the time shift+mode_switch+g (which should be
Ĝ) usually only prints G.  I seem to have to type ĝ before adding the shift
will work.

I've mapped mode_switch to the iBook's enter key (right of the space bar and
the right option key).  Maybe it's just a key combo the hardware can't
handle?  If so, is there somewhere else I can map mode_switch that'll work
better?

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.