Re: Xserve G5 fan support

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 11:56 +0000, Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this topic has been broached before, but I'd like a status
> update: I have kernel 2.6.8 and the fans spin wildly. Is the support
> any better in newer kernels? Are they safe for production machines?

The driver in current upstream does contain some support for the Xserve
G5. Fans that aren't properly driven (like the slot bay) are left to
moderately high speed. So far, I didn't have report of problems from
people using that code. I don't remember if it was in 2.6.11 already
though, so you may want to wait 2.6.12. Your 2.6.8 is rather outdated
for ppc64 ...

Ben.