Re: Getting DRI to work on a beige PowerMac G3

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 16:09 +0100, David Deans wrote:
> Right, this is driving me crazy. I'm currently running sarge and I'm
> trying to get DRI to work on a beige PowerMac G3, equipped with a ATI
> Rage Pro 3D (Mach64) with 2Meg (sigh) of VRAM. I'm not expecting it to
> do amazing things,

Indeed, even if you get all the necessary software components, that
little video RAM will only allow for direct rendering at 640x480, if at
all.

> but atm it doesnt even seem to be starting. Every time I run a DRI app,
> I get this complaint in console that the display cannot be found:
>
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

It doesn't say that the display isn't found but that it doesn't support
the DRI extension.

> What could be causing this? Could there be a module that I have should
> have loaded that isn't set up properly? Or is DRI support for Mach64
> ATI chipsets broken?

It's still experimental and hasn't been included in any X release yet.
And in fact it may never be, as development on it has pretty much
ceased. If you want to try it, you have to build X, the DRM and Mesa
from CVS, or maybe you can find snapshot packages somewhere.