Re: 2.6.11, pppoe, iptables

Hi,

my firewall is a duron 800 with sarge and 2.6.11 ...
my dsl connection does work only after I did run pppoeconfig.
If I reboot (without changes to pppoe settings) it doesn't work anymore.
ppp starts and quits, no other message logged.
Is this the same problem as yours?

But I think your problem may be another one...
As on the Interface (eth0 in your case) the firewall policy is already
set when you start dialing, i think the pppoe traffic gets dropped. If
your policy sets the filters for eth0 (in case you use ethernet), you
have to disable these policies before dialing out and set the policy
again after connection is established...
firestarter has to set the default action for the interface to deny or
reject and let ports through that you have allowed. I think the pppoe
protocol is not tcp/ip and can not be filtered corretly by iptables. So
the packages get dropped because of the default action.

do you have anything in your log when you start dialing?
anything useful to build an rule?

If you do not use ethernet in a local area network you should set the
firewall policy on ppp0 instead of the ethernet interface.  For pppoe to
work the eth0 interface shouldn't be configured and have an default
policy action like drop or reject, AFAIK...

If firestarter doesn't give you enough options to configure the iptables
rules maybe fwbuilder (http://www.fwbuilder.org) is something for you.

Regards.

mfl

--