Re: dvd hdparm?

Mauro <mcepeda@ualberta.ca> wrote:

>> I've only just picked up on this thread, but my experience with a
>> *600MHz* G3 iBook is that it can't keep up with playing DVDs and xine
>> eventually gives up with a message that the CPU is too slow. It is
>> however possible to play a DVD on OSX -- so presumably Apple have access
>> to some features of the graphics chip that ATI won't tell about.
>>
>> James
>
> same here,
> has anyone tried
> dmesg | grep DVD

$ dmesg |grep -i dvd
hdc: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8123, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, (U)DMA

> hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX

# hdparm -d /dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom:
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

And mplayer plays them without this problems and without this cpu load.

Jörg.

--
And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
on it, you know they are just evil lies.